London (17th August)

Friday night: after using my work’s charity day clearing up some of the gardens at Tower Hamlets Cemetery, I dashed to the office and showered and changed before meeting Colin at Pizza Express in Golden Square. After a decent meal we wandered up Carnaby Street  to the Palladium to see the Wizard of OZ. Even though our tickets were half price the theatre was still not full. It is also annoying that children are allowed in to watch these sort of shows! The most interesting people in the audience, however, were the three grannies who turned up later and proceeded to talk very loudly (despite being told off by other members of the audience). They were clearly drunk and one left her seat during the first half, never to return, and a second disappeared during the interval.


An early(-ish) start on Saturday morning as we met Heike (Klaus-Dieter’s sister-in-law) and her friend, Brigitte to show them round some of London. Walked along the river to the Houses of Parliament, up Whitehall, past Downing St and the horses to Trafalgar Square where we caught one of the old-fashioned Routemasters to St Pauls. We were the only passengers on the top deck and the conductor didn’t come and check our tickets so we got a free ride. Walked round the cathedral (I’d forgotten how imposing it actually looks) and cross the Millenium Bridge and from just outside the Globe theatre we caught a boat (having paid with Oyster) along the river to Greenwich North where we disembarked and wandered into the O2 for lunch in the Slug and Lettuce which the German ladies paid for. Then our first flight with Emirates  – on the cable car over the Thames. Using Oyster again made it really easy as they have Underground-tpe entrance gates – touch in and enter. Not much of a queue and they only put 6 passengers in each pod, even though they could probably take 8 people. Very comfortable ride with great views over East London. After that we deserved an ice-cream but I am not sure I was happy paying £2.50 for a “99” with flake. Took the DLR back to Tower Hill where we said goodbye to our guests who took a bus to Regent Street to go shopping. We returned home for a well-deserved rest. Sunday was a typical London Sunday – shopping, cleaning, the Hoist and a meal out (this time our first trip to Buffalo  – not bad food although I had already drunk too much by then. The fajitas were a bit too hot for my taste.



Leave a Reply

You must be logged in to post a comment.